Speed issues with your VPN Router are generally always related to the way your local ISP routes to our VPN network. There are several self-help steps you can take to improve the speed you are getting from your VPN Router.
Some important points to consider before contacting us:
- Local is Best - Unless you need to access specific content from another country that is blocked (note IPTV, Kodi etc are not blocked with our UK VPN setting) then we always recommend you set your VPN to the country you are in, or the next closest to you.
- VPN speed always slower than your ISP - Due to hardware and encryption overheads the VPN Router has a download speed maximum of between 30-40mbps. Please keep in mind that even an HD video stream only requires 5mbps approximately, so even with 10-20mbps download speed you should still be able to stream multiple HD video streams on your devices without buffering.
- Wired always faster than WiFi - Connecting a device with an Ethernet Cable should always mean that device gets more speed than if it is connected using WiFi.
- Changing your Inbound Gateway - This does not effect the country you have your VPN set for but is a useful way to improve your VPN Router speed. Firstly please login at https://www.libertyshield.com/Account/Login and select the "Manage Router" option. From here you should pick the closest physical option to your location, this will route your connection to our closest VPN gateway and force your router to join our VPN network in the fastest possible way to take some of the routing process away from your local ISP. Once you switch gateways and reboot your VPN Router please try http://speedtest.net with and both your ISP Router and VPN Router connected and see if your results improve.
- L2TP or PPTP Encryption Modes - On most of our VPN Router models you can switch between L2TP and PPTP encryption modes. To change you encryption mode please login at https://www.libertyshield.com/Account/Login and select the "Manage Router" option. L2TP is a higher grade of encryption than PPTP and in most cases will therefore return a slower download speed. (If you use PPTP mode please check that that PPTP Passthrough setting is enabled on your ISP Router)
<Video Coming Soon>
Before submitting a support ticket to our team we always recommend you carry out the following steps:
- Power off both your ISP Router and VPN Router.
- Wait 1 minute then power up your ISP Router.
- Wait at least 2 minutes for your ISP Router to fully reboot.
- Power up the VPN Router and wait at least 2 minutes more for it to power up and connect to the VPN network.